The Bucs continue to work toward the regular season
Thursday morning came and the Bucs were once again back at it at Advent Health Training Center after the day off. The team was not in full pads today, but they wore shells and both quarterbacks continued to work towards the starting job, but the defense didn’t make it easy on them.
Baker Mayfield was a lot better today than he was the past few days, but still not perfect. Even though he did not throw an interception in this practice, he did nearly get picked off by Lavonte David. Kyle Trask on the other hand continued to show off the improved velocity on his throws this camp and did well in the two-minute drill, even though it didn’t end in a score.
The defense was flying around today and even though the Bucs weren’t in full gear, there was plenty of physicality on the defensive side with multiple different players breaking up passes. For much of the day, the QBs were forced to take check downs or try to make something out of nothing with their legs.
Speaking of the QBs, I continue to be impressed by John Wolford in this camp. He’s shown nice touch and zip on his throws and continued that today with a beautiful throw and a really nice catch by Russell Gage. Wolford might be the best QB3 the Bucs have had in a long time.
— Evan Wanish (@EvanNFL) August 3, 2023
- Keenan Isaac continues to make a case to stick around as corner depth for Tampa Bay. Had a nice pass breakup on Thursday.
- Just based on the first few camp practices, I would be surprised if the RBs and TEs aren’t a huge part of Dave Canales’ offense this season.
- Chase McLaughlin went 4/4 on field goal attempts today. Unfortunately the same can not be said for Rodrigo Blankenship as he went 2/4 including missing a short one off the upright and then his final attempt was a rough looking long field goal.
- Bucs pass rushers were active today and got after it. Shaq Barrett had a batted pass and they harassed the QBs early and often. A critical year for many of Tampa Bay’s pass rushers.
- It was nice to see Baker Mayfield show some fight in the QB competition. The first preseason game might be one of the most anticipated in a long time for Bucs fans just for the sheer fact of seeing Mayfield and Trask under the lights of Raymond James Stadium.